CSC 236: Data Structures Website, Berea College
Dr. Jan Pearce
Berea College Fall 2023 Offering
Day 41: Wednesday, December 6, 2023
Day 41: In class
- questions in preparation for exam?
- Work on project. The big 0 analysis is due on Monday.
Day 41: Outside of class
- Study for exam E2, which will be in class on Friday.
Day 40: Monday, December 4, 2023
Day 40: In class
Day 40: Outside of class
Day 39: Friday, December 1, 2023
Day 39: In class
- Begin TR2 Peerwise Review for E2 which is due by tomorrow (yes, Saturday) at 12 Noon and will not be accepted late. Be sure that all questions are reviewed and improved. Wrong or poor questions count against the entire team, not just the author because you are expected to have reviewed and approved them.
Day 39: Outside of class
Day 38: Wednesday, November 29, 2023
Day 38: In class
Day 38: Outside of class
Day 37: Monday, November 27, 2023
Day 37: In class
Day 37: Outside of class
Day 36: Monday, November 20, 2023
Day 36: In class
Day 36: Outside of class
Day 35: Friday, November 17, 2023
Day 35: In class
Day 35: Outside of class
Day 34: Wednesday, November 15, 2023
Day 34: In class
Day 34: Outside of class
Day 33: Monday, November 13, 2023
Day 33: In class
Day 33: Outside of class
Day 32: Friday, November 10, 2023
Day 32: In class
Day 32: Outside of class
Day 31: Wednesday, November 8, 2023
Day 31: In class
Day 31: Outside of class
Day 30: Monday, November 6, 2023
Day 30: In class
Day 30: Outside of class
Day 29: Friday, November 3, 2023
Day 29: In class
Day 29: Outside of class
Day 28: Wednesday, November 1, 2023
Day 28: In class
Day 28: Outside of class
- Continue L6: Recursive Art. The second milestone is due Friday, November 3, 2023.
- Note that we will be reading the next chapter for Monday.
Day 27: Monday, October 30, 2023
Day 27: In class
Day 27: Outside of class
Day 26: Friday, October 27, 2023
Day 26: In class
Day 26: Outside of class
Day 25: Wednesday, October 25, 2023
Day 25: In class
Day 25: Outside of class
Day 24: Monday, October 23, 2023
Day 24: In class
Day 24: Outside of class
- Continue working on L5: Binary Addition to meet the second milestone which is due on Wednesday, October 25, 2023.
Day 23: Friday, October 20, 2023
Day 23: In class
Day 23: Outside of class
No class: Wednesday, October 18; enjoy Mountain Day!
Day 22: Monday, October 16, 2023
Day 22: In class
Day 22: Outside of class
Day 21: Friday, October 13, 2023
Day 21: In class
Day 21: Outside of class
Day 20: Wednesday, October 11, 2023
Day 20: In class
Day 20: Outside of class
Reminder: Exam E1 will be Wednesday, October 11, 2023
No class: Monday, October 9; have a productive Reading Day!
Day 19: Friday, October 6, 2023
Day 19: In class
- Questions on L4: The Game of War?
- Complete and submit TR1: E1 Review. Remember that it is up to each of you and your teams to help each other make it excellent. Note that due to the nature of this assignment, it will not be accepted late.
Day 19: Outside of class
- For Monday (during Reading Period), complete and submit L4: The Game of War
- For Wednesday study for exam E1 which is in class on Wednesday.
- The E1 exam will ALL be on paper. It will be a mixture of multiple choice and short answer, and will have one full program that you have to write on paper, likely using OOP.
- Exam E1 will cover all of the material from the course thus far, but the major topics covered thus far are C++, OOP, Big O, and linear structures stacks, queues, and deques. i.e. the major topics are C++, and the first three chapters of the textbook. Peerwise is very unlikely to suffice for your study unless you make the questions excellent.
- Read Chapter 4 in our Data Structures textbook in preparation for a possible reading quiz on Friday
Day 18: Wednesday, October 4, 2023
Day 18: In class
Day 18: Outside of class
Day 17: Monday, October 2, 2023
Day 17: In class
Day 17: Outside of class
- Complete milestone two on L4: The Game of War to meet the second milestone that is due Wednesday.
Day 16: Friday, September 29, 2023
Day 16: In class
- Answering questions from Slack
- Possible reading quiz
- Discuss midterm exam
- Complete and submit T10: How Long Will This Take?
- If time permits, work on the design document or even the code for L4: The Game of War since the first milestone is due Monday. Note that in past years students have found this lab to be challenging to debug, so it is best to start coding early–maybe this weekend?
Day 16: Outside of class
Day 15: Wednesday, September 27, 2023
Day 15: In class
Day 15: Outside of class
Day 14: Monday, September 25, 2023
Day 14: In class
Day 14: Outside of class
Day 13: Friday, September 22, 2023
Day 13: In class
Day 13: Outside of class
Day 12: Wednesday, September 20, 2023
Day 12: In class
Day 12: Outside of class
Day 11: Monday, September 18, 2023
Day 11: In class
Day 11: Outside of class
Day 10: Friday, September 15, 2023
Day 10: In class
- Discuss L2: Bytes
- Begin T06: Dice Rolls which we will complete next time - your new pair programming composition will be decided in class
Day 10: Outside of class
Day 9: Wednesday, September 14, 2023
Day 9: In class
Day 9: Outside of class
- Continue L2: Bytes - I am replacing the Friday due date by a second Milestone for this lab and extending the final due date. Milestone 2 will be due Friday. Milestone 2 will be done when you have committed code for every part, but the code might not yet be correct or working. Full completion is hearby extended to Monday, September 18!
- Complete and submit A02: Programmer Blogs on Big O by 8am on Friday
Day 8: Monday, September 11, 2023
Day 8: In class
Day 8: Outside of class
- Read Chapter 2 on Big O and do all activities in preparation for a potential reading quiz on Wednesday. This is one of the most important topics in the entire course; you might try to find time to read it twice! Be sure you click the link from Moodle and do all activities to get full credit!
- Continue L2: Bytes. This is an individual lab that has Milestone 1 due on Wednesday and the full lab due on Friday.
Day 7: Friday, September 6, 2023
Day 7: In class
Day 7: Outside of class
- Complete A01: OOP Principles which is due by Monday.
- Start L2: Bytes. This is an individual lab that has Milestone 1 due on Wednesday and the full lab due on Friday, September 15.
Day 6: Wednesday, September 6, 2023
Day 6: Outside of class
No class: Monday, September 4, 2023
Enjoy the Labor Day Holiday!
Day 5: Friday, September 1, 2023
Day 5: In class
Day 5: Outside of class
- Read Chapter 1 on OOP in preparation for a potential reading quiz. Read 1.1-1.6 and 1.12-1.16 with special attention to 1.12. I am trying something different, be sure to go through Moodle to get credit.
- Begin L1: Loopy Graphics with C-Turtle. This is an individual lab that has the first milestone due on Wednesday. The full lab is due on Friday.
Day 4: Wednesday, August 30, 2023
Day 4: In class
Day 4: Outside of class
Day 3: Monday, August 28, 2023
Day 3: In class
Day 3: Outside of class
Day 2: Friday, August 25, 2023
Day 2: In class
- Possible quiz
- Debrief on word game, algorithms and data structures, installations, C++, the syllabus, and the AI policy in particular
- Watch Github Copilot in Visual Studio Community
- Sign up for Github Student Developer Pack. Note that it might take three or more days to get this, so don’t fret since we do not need it and you are likley better off not using it for the first lab.
- Install Github Copilot and request access to Github Copilot chat
- Complete, download, and submit Teamwork T01: Visual Studio, Github, and ASCII Art
Day 2: Outside of class (due before class on Monday)
- Begin L0: ASCII-Art. This is an individual Lab. The first milestone is due Wednesday, August 30, 2023. The final completion milestone of the lab is due Friday, September 1, 2023.
- Read Chapters 2 and 3 in C++ for Python Programmers for a potential reading quiz next class. Be sure you are logged in and do all activities to get credit!
Day 1: Wednesday, August 23, 2023
Day 1: In class
- List all of the data structures you used in Python
- What is data structures about? And what is it NOT about?
- Discussion of course: content, texts, syllabus, flow, other ideas
- Sign up for our first text: C++ for Python Programmers. Be sure to use (or make) the login from your Berea email and Berea username and then sign-up for the book bc_cpp4python_f23. (Note that the account you used in CSC 226 should be fine.)
- Data structures game
Outside of class (all due by 8 am of our next class day):
- Complete A00:Getting Started and submit to Moodle. Note that there are 6 tasks, some of which will take some time:
- Help us get to know you better
- Connect Data Structures to your career
- Set-up your Required IDE (this will take some time!)
- Read the syllabus to understand the course structure
- Be sure you are signed into bc_cpp4python_f23, read Chapter 1 of C++ for Python Programmers in preparation for a reading quiz.
- Introduce yourself to the class and the TAs on Slack
Copyright © 2023 | Licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License